The Original Sewell Farm
Sewell Mill Road was named after the Sewell Family Mill which was a corn-grinding operation and sawmill built in the 1840’s. The ruins of this mill are visible adjacent to Sewell Mill Road where it crosses the stream that feeds into Sope Creek. Near this ruin are remnants of a road that once led to a hospital from the Civil War era.
Construction began for the Sewell Farm Subdivision in 1989 by Ashford Development. Ashford Development purchased the property from the owners of Sewell Farm on both sides of Sewell Mill Road. The partners went their separate ways in 1991 and one of the partners formed a new company that began construction on Phase III and named it The Oaks at Sewell Farm.